We’re all a little crazy. We all have faults and quirks. We all make mistakes and whatnot.
So, what’s the difference between someone who is “normal” and someone who is “abnormal?” Furthermore, what separates someone who has a mental health disorder from someone who does not? After all, normal people and us mental people do a lot of the same stupid things sometimes, right?
Very interesting questions, are they not? Normal behavior is often quite subjective. What might be crazy to one person is perfectly sane to another. If a person is doing something that we might associate with being “abnormal” but is otherwise happy as a clam would it then still be considered “abnormal?”
“It’s important to note that the distinctions between normal and abnormal are not synonymous with good or bad.” – VeryWellMind
While the particulars of what is normal and abnormal are often debatable, psychologists generally agree that having a mental health disorder is determined by how a behavior or set of behaviors is effecting your life and the lives of those around you. Perhaps in some of the following ways…
- First and foremost, you may just feel like something is wrong. Something is not jiving. Something is getting in the way of living a happy life.
- Feeling negative or hurtful emotions too much of the time. This can include chronic anger, rage, sadness, mania, obsessiveness, etc.
- If you are unable to recognize a particular behavior or set of behaviors as negative, perhaps other people/friends/family members/coworkers have commented about such behaviors to you. Maybe they are all full of sh*t and maybe they aren’t. Something to consider anyway that’s all I’m sayin’.
- Trouble maintaining friendships.
- Trouble with romantic relationships.
- Trouble getting along with people in general.
- Employment troubles.
- Risky or impulsive behavior… drugs, shoplifting, having unsafe sex, etc.
- Low self-esteem, self-destruction, self-harm
This is of course not an exhaustive list and it pains me greatly to say that in the past I’ve had trouble with most all of the things on this list. I may be just talking sh*t but I’m also talking experienced sh*t here!
So what now? Time to get honest, that’s what! But, alas, that is a topic for another day.
All the best and have a lovely Moody Monday!
Every Monday from now until I get tired of it I will be posting on mental health topics. That’s a joke actually as I never get tired of talking about mental health!
Visit MidnightHarmony on Facebook
Visit MidnightHarmony on Pinterest