Since the beaches opened up here in Trinidad & Tobago back in January, we’ve been taking full advantage of this situation.
Spending the day at the beach is one of my all-time favorite activities. I love the ocean air, the breeze, the swaying palm trees, the tide coming in, and I love drinking in the sunshine while looking out over the beautiful water… under a nice shady tree of course.
The beach is a great mood booster!
Success on Medium
When I first joined the Medium platform last year, I wasn’t sure what to expect. It seemed like a difficult place to succeed, but it also seemed like a great opportunity to share writing. So, I gave it a go.
Since that time, I’ve learned a lot and have managed to establish a nice following, although it’s taken time and A LOT of work.
It’s starting to pay off, as I’m generating a small income each month and I’m looking for that to keep growing. Each month I make more than what I made the previous month.
Medium is not for everyone. It’s a rather unique and quirky place, and one has to be open to that. If you’re thinking about joining Medium do let me know. Supporting new promising writers to the platform is one of my favorite things.
The Essentials of Medium
- Medium is a wonderful community of writers. I hadn’t expected this, and love being a part of it. Community is a powerful thing when a person learns how to embrace it.
- Writers on Medium are very supportive of each other and their work, but it has to be a mutual thing. It’s a place where writers support other writers. Succeeding on Medium without understanding how this works will be a lot tougher, I believe.
- Lately, something very cool has been happening. A lot of other writers are starting to mentioning me in their stories and share links to my stories. I often share links in my stories to other Medium writers and their stories as well. This happens in the blogging world, too, but not near as much as Medium. Goes to show just how strong the reciprocal support is.
- Many diverse topics and niches exist within the Medium community.
- However, there’s also a lot of writers who write about writing itself, both on the craft of writing as well as tips on succeeding as a writer on Medium. Since writing is one of my favorite subjects, I love this aspect of the platform the most really, although not everyone on the platform would agree.
- Medium publications are awesome. Joining niche publications is a great way to boost the community factor even more. One of my favorite pubs to publish in is Globetrotters. I loved it so much that in May I will join the editing team. So excited about that!
- Success on Medium takes hard work and time, no matter what anyone might say to the contrary. Overnight success can be done, but it’s quite rare.
Here are some “friend links” to some of my stories–this means you can check them out without worrying about the paywall.
- “Globetrotters Writer Spotlight — JoAnn Ryan“–Writing intros and about me stories is a very popular thing to do on Medium. I’ve written several now.
- “From Trinidad With Love: Beautiful Bougainvillea“–To date, this is my post with the most views: over 3,000 for this one story, so far.
The future of The Sunstone Journal?
In regards to my WordPress blog, I will still be posting here. I’ve long had a premium plan but will drop down to a basic plan when my annual is up in May. At this point, I see no benefit to keeping the premium plan. Not sure how this will affect formatting and what not–perhaps not at all. Will see in May.
Anyway, this is what’s going on in my neck of the woods.
Hope everyone is doing well!